At Peoples Gas, we understand the many difficulties associated with a severe illness. When you are faced with a serious health issue, keeping your home safe and warm is important, even if you have difficulty paying your natural gas bill. To be sure that you can maintain service in the case of severe illness, providing a medical certificate can prevent the disconnection of service, for those who qualify.
A medical certificate should be submitted by one of the following certified licensed professionals, and then can be sent via fax or mail.
- Licensed physician (doctor)
- Local board of health
- Physician’s assistant (PA)
- Specifically licensed nurse practitioners
- Advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP)
- Certified registered nurse practitioner (CRNP)
- Licensed nurse practitioner (LNP)
- Nurse practitioner certified (NPC)
Attn: Contact Center
200 E. Randolph St.
Chicago, IL 60601-6302
Once we receive your medical certificate and determine you are eligible, we will halt disconnection. Or, if your gas has already been disconnected, turn on your service. Medical certificates are valid only for residential accounts.
- Please have the certified party submit the medical certificate.
- To help us authenticate the medical certificate, the submitted medical certificate must include:
- Certified party’s letterhead
- Certified party’s signature
- The medical certificate must contain the following information:
- Patient’s name
- Patient’s service address
- Statement that the patient resides at the service address
- Statement that the disconnection of utility service will aggravate an existing medical emergency or create a medical emergency for the patient
Certified party’s information:
- Certified party’s name
- Business address
- Phone number
Conditions of the medical certificate
- We will not discontinue service for 60 days from certification.
- Your account will be ineligible for acceptance of additional medical certificates for one year from the date of the original certification unless the total account balance has been brought current.
- You will be entered into a Short-Term Payment Plan within 30 days of the issuance of the certificate. No initial payment is required.
- If service has been disconnected, medical certification for service restoration must be received within 14 days of the disconnection date.
- The medical certificate must be dated no more than 21 days prior to the date of presentment.
- The certifying party must sign the medical certificate.
If you have any questions regarding the medical certificate process, please contact us.