Watch out! Scammers like to trick or scare you into giving them money by pretending to be from Peoples Gas.
Don’t be a victim. If you think a scammer is targeting you, call us at
If you fall victim to a scam, report the theft to local law enforcement.
Beware of these common scams:
A caller may:
- Pretend to be from Peoples Gas. They may even manipulate caller ID to display "Peoples Gas”
or use a recording that sounds like it’s from us.
- Threaten to turn off your energy in a short amount of time.
- Demand immediate payment — often with a prepaid debit card, third-party digital payment app like Zelle or Venmo, or unusual payment method such as bitcoin.
If you are ever in doubt about a phone call, hang up and call us.
Search engine scams
The scam works like this:
- You visit a search engine website (Google, Bing, etc.) to find the phone number for Peoples Gas. The top search result may show up as a link to an official-looking website with a phone number to call. Beware — that link may be paid for by scammers, and the number may be a direct line to the crooks.
- You call the number and think you are talking to Peoples Gas, but instead you are providing sensitive information to con artists. Customers have been asked for credit card information and Social Security numbers on these calls.
Need to know our phone number? Always visit peoplesgasdelivery.com , use the Peoples Gas app, or look on your bill to be sure you’re contacting us and avoiding a scam.
If someone comes to your door claiming to be from Peoples Gas, ask for identification. It’s not rude — it’s safe.
Here’s how to tell a real Peoples Gas employee or contractor from a fake one.
- An employee or contractor will readily prove their identity. An imposter won’t.
- An employee or contractor will wear a photo ID with their name and company logo.
- When in doubt, call us, so we can confirm our employee’s or our contractor’s identity.
What you can do to stop scams
- Avoid online searches. Stay away from clicking or calling numbers in search engines claiming to be
Peoples Gas. Many times, your search results may show a number claiming to be us in
“Sponsored Results.” Contact us directly by calling the number on our website , app or your utility bill.
- Don’t respond. If you have any doubts about a call, email or text message, follow your instincts.
Hang up the phone on suspicious callers and ignore suspicious emails and texts. Call us, and we can verify your
payment status and check on your account anytime.
- Beware scammers calling. We notify you about past-due bills before
service is shut off — not by a phone call the same day.
- Know your options. We provide many payment options
and never require use of a prepaid debit card or unusual payment method.
- Report it. Contact local authorities and us to report a theft or attempted theft.
If you gave the scammers money, also reach out to your bank, credit card company or third-party
digital payment app to try to stop your money from being transferred.
- Keep others safe. Share these tips with neighbors, family and friends.
Customer service: 866-556-6001
If you've been the victim or target of a scam, contact the Illinois Attorney General's office at 800-386-5438 (TTY 800-964-3013) or visit their website.