Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

The Community and Economic Development Association (CEDA) is now open and taking LIHEAP applications via phone. Please call the intake site phone number nearest you for assistance. If customers are having difficulty paying their bill, we will work with them to arrange a payment plan or discuss financial assistance options. Customers can find additional information by calling 866-556-6001.

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides financial assistance to help customers on limited incomes pay their energy bills.

For eligible households, there are three different ways to receive assistance under LIHEAP:

  • Direct vendor payment - a once-a-year grant for customers who currently have service;
  • Reconnection assistance - a once-a-year grant that helps disconnected customers reestablish service.

LIHEAP eligibility

Eligibility and the amount of grants depend on household size and the last 30 days of gross household income prior to filing an application.

Family Size 30-Day Income Annual Income
1 $2,127.00 $25,520.00
2 $2,873.00 $34,480.00
3 $3,620.00 $43,440.00
4 $4,367.00 $52,400.00
5 $5,113.00 $61,360.00
6 $5,860.00 $70,320.00
7 $6,607.00 $79,820.00
8 $7,353.00 $88,240.00
  • Additional $736 per person in monthly income above 8 people, or $8,840 annual

The State of Illinois has created a new website to allow residents to pre-apply. Customers can fill out information on the website and it will be forwarded to the appropriate agency. Visit Helpillinoisfamilies.com.

To Apply For LIHEAP

Customers should call the Community and Economic Development Association (CEDA) at 800-571-2332 or use the CEDA Energy Service Site Locator.

Applicants are required to submit:

  • Proof of household income or any financial assistance for the past 30 days for all members of the household over age 18;
  • Your current residential heating bill;
  • Proof of social security numbers for all household members;
  • A medical eligibility card for any member of your household receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF); and
  • Your rental agreement, in cases where utilities are included in the rent.