Please call us immediately if you think you may have a natural gas leak or emergency.

Natural Gas Leaks and Fires

Natural gas has a distinct, pungent odor so it is easy to detect. Leaking gas can cause an explosion and fire.

If you smell natural gas:

  • Get everyone out of the house immediately.
  • DO NOT use the telephone, a flashlight or any electrical switches.
  • GO to a neighbor's house and call the Peoples Gas immediately at 866-556-6002.

If there is a fire:

  • Get everyone out of the house immediately.
  • Go to a neighbor's house and call 911
  • If the fire is small, an adult can try to extinguish it using an all-purpose fire extinguisher. Never put water on an electrical fire. If you can't quickly extinguish the fire, get out and call 911. Do not try to extinguish a large fire.

When you call 911, remember to give your name and address, and speak clearly. Tell the operator what's wrong. Stay on the phone. The operator will tell you what to do.

Back to Top

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas produced when heating systems are not working correctly. You can't smell, taste or see carbon monoxide. That makes it very dangerous. Carbon monoxide can build up inside a home because of incomplete combustion and cause severe sickness and even death.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Sudden flu-like illness
  • Dizziness, headaches, sleepiness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Fluttering or throbbing heart beat
  • Cherry-red lips, unusually pale complexion
  • Unconsciousness

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Get the victim out and into fresh air immediately.
  • Call 911 or emergency medical help at once.
  • Get everyone else out.
  • Open the windows.

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Be alert for the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors.
  • Never operate internal combustion engines indoors.
  • Never use a charcoal grill indoors.
  • Have all fuel-burning appliances, flues, vents, and chimneys checked regularly.