For more than 165 years, Peoples Gas has delivered safe, reliable natural gas to residents and businesses in Chicago. Along the way, the company has played a key role in the development of Chicago as one of the best places to live and work in the nation.
- Peoples Gas becomes the
first utility in the city of Chicago when it lights the city's streets
with natural gas lamps.
- Peoples Gas helps the city
rebuild after the Great Chicago Fire.
- Electricity is introduced at the Columbia Exposition.
Peoples Gas shifts its business
from gas lighting to cooking with natural gas.
- Twelve gas companies merge under the direction of president C.K.G.
Billings, Jr. to become the Peoples Gas
Light and Coke Co.
- Peoples Gas constructs
the first long-distance, high-pressure, steel natural gas pipeline
from north Texas to Chicago, allowing for the first-time industrial
use of natural gas.
- For the first time, Peoples Gas
is able to meet all demands by Chicago residents for natural gas to
heat their homes, helping to clean up Chicago by diminishing its reliance
on coal and oil to heat homes.
- Peoples Gas purchases North Shore Natural Gas in Lake County.
- Peoples Gas Company changed its name to Peoples Energy Corporation ("PEC").
- Integrys Energy Group, Inc. acquired PEC. PEC remained the holding company for The Peoples Gas Light and Coke Company and North Shore Gas.
- Integrys Energy Group, Inc. and its operating companies were acquired and now do business as WEC Energy Group. Peoples Gas continues to operate as a separate utility under the new parent company.