LIHEAP grants are no longer available for customers within the City of Chicago for the winter of 2014-2015. Financial assistance is still available through the Peoples Gas Share the Warmth program.
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides financial assistance to help customers on limited incomes pay their energy bills.
For eligible households, there are three different ways to receive assistance under LIHEAP:
- Direct Vendor Payment - a once-a-year grant for customers who currently have service;
- Reconnection Assistance - a once-a-year grant that helps disconnected customers reestablish service; and
- Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP) - a monthly benefit under which customers pay a monthly amount based on their household income and natural gas usage.
Eligibility and the amount of grants depend on household size and the last 30 days of gross household income prior to filing an application.
|Household Size||Maximum 30-Day Income|
To Apply For LIHEAP
Customers should visit a local customer center or call the Community and Economic Development Association (CEDA) at 800-571-2332.
Applicants are required to submit:
- Proof of gross income for all household members;
- Current gas and electric bills;
- Proof of Social Security numbers for all household members;
- A Medical Eligibility Card for any household member receiving TANF; and
- Their rental agreement, in cases where utilities are included in the rent.